So this is my 2nd post about my recent professional endeavors...and has more detail than the 1st where I was being vague and didn't want to say too much.
So I've booked my 1st event - not intentionally. She asked. I had originally told her I don't do events (too stressful for me)...and was just helping her out by designing invitations...but here I am...actually going to do the event - a 25th anniversary party in June - dh encouraged me to, so I told them yes.
Therefore I have A LOT of preparation to do!
Tonight / last night I invested over $1000 in glass. One glass. the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L. My 1st L lens! Wow. I also got the 430EX Speedlite. I figured it was enough vs the 580EXII Speedlite. I had wanted to focus on "natural light photography" but now with an indoor event, I'm going to need flash...since I don't have the camera body that has 3200 ISO or exceptional low light function.
Amazon's a crazy place! Their prices fluctuate within minutes and items sell quickly and upon refreshing a page they're out of stock - if you're not quick enough at purchasing them. At least that was my experience today. Bought lots of new equipment and the joint present for my mom.
Tuesday, I signed up for Pictage. I hemmed and hummed over it for a month. And finally took the 1st out-of-pocket "investment leap" but then on Wednesday, I read a post on photo.net that didn't give it the best reviews. So I'm going to try it for myself and see. No contract commitment and I get the advertised new-member rate. They ARE rather aggressive with the "hard sale" lots of phone call follow ups and emails - I dunno if that'll annoy clients or not. I hadn't thought about it that way. But it was their persistent contact that got me to join.
I haven't been blogging on any of my blogs recently b/c I've been really busy and not feeling "bloggy." But with all of these new developments to the "business side of things" I felt like I should blog. Of course...it's unlike me to spill my guts to the world...but I do need to document things. I contemplated starting a new private blog documenting my journey, but I think my musings page should be enough.
I do need to revamp my photo blog...which isn't a blog much less a photo blog at all right now...I want to combine blog with website...like jessica claire.
I really do need validation and positive feedback at this point. Psychologically I've been struggling with the same "cycles" and I've felt stressed - which doesn't make me a happy mommy or wifey. Plus I'm a bit sleep deprived b/c my brain just keeps going and going.
This past weekend I was hoping for a maternity session, but when the time came, she was having contractions and didn't feel up to a photo session. She had her baby Monday night/Tuesday morning! I just found out today. But now I can do her newborn session! I'm excited!!!
A few weeks ago, I also talked to some peeps about senior sessions and the market around here...and found out lots of great information. And K.S. and her friend are willing to model for me - although they've already had their senior sessions. This studio is moving and they've basically been servicing most of the seniors in the area. So there's going to be a need this summer/next year for the next yr's seniors. So I'm thinking about tapping into the senior market...but dunno yet. I've also discovered a lot more studios and photographers that I didn't know about in the area...I'm slowly compiling a list. I'm hoping to network and make friends, but who knows how open and responsive people will be.
[B]ecker has been great at sharing info with the world and helping others in this business - including a daily school. Lots of info out there. Jasmine Star's journey is also inspiring. There's lots more...but too many to list.
I have one of my fave's & 1st inspirations that I visit still - Tara Whitney who's just redesigned her website and blog & also Amy.
So going back to the psychological thing - I did a baby 9 month session a few weeks ago, and I really loved how the pics turned out, but I didn't get any feedback from the mom b/c I didn't do a sit-down viewing session with her - I finished up the CD and let her pick it up. So it stressed me out b/c I didn't know if she liked them or what. I called and left VMs, but no call back. So Wednesday (yesterday) morning I emailed her a quick note to follow and for feedback, and got a reply within a few hours. I was SOOO excited! And felt SOOO much better instantly upon reading her words "I LOVED the photos." She's going to order some custom work too! I'm so excited!
I've learned so much...it's a huge learning curve, but I'm really excited for the journey and getting established in this venture.
I did some volunteer violin playing today - for a kids' Spanish class. Once again b/c someone asked (I've discovered that I rarely volunteer my talents) - and I'm going to help them out with their "program" next Tuesday evening.
It's cool b/c the classes are held at this art center here (small pottery center). While I was there a mother asked if I taught violin. She had a difficult time locating a violin teacher for her son, but found one in CC. I told her I used to, but I don't anymore. A few peeps have asked me about if I teach violin - I reply "not anymore"...but it always gets me to thinking.
It was fun to guide the kids and teach them a bit or two about music today...but would I want to teach again? I do enjoy aspects of it - like helping kids to learn. It's certainly NOT for the pay. Get more per hour doing other stuff. It's a thought...but that would be too much on my plate. I already don't give H as much attention as she would like.
I know some people say blogging should be short and about a point or something interesting that others would want to read about what not... but this is my musings blog...so I can go off on whatever...mostly what's in my mind...
and it's mainly for myself to "dump some of my thoughts down in words."
So if you're reading, thank you for being a reader...please feel free to leave comments...and if you're not...well...then you're not reading this and you wouldn't have seen this sentence anyways...but then is there a "you?"
lol
Thursday, May 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hiya!
I missed this post somehow. Good job on getting out and just doing stuff. I totally hear you on the frustrations of photography. The new lenses will help, although I hope you had chances to practice before the actual event - especially with the flash! My experience is that you have to get used to quickly adjusting the exposure compensation.
I never volunteer piano services myself. It's nothing but work. Especially the piano. Often, I'll practice tons and play complex, difficult pieces as accompaniment and the violin (which often has an easier part) gets all the credit. So at least be glad you're playing an instrument that gets lots of glory. haha :)
Post a Comment